Skip to main content

Haunted Ships: The Mystery of the Mirabel

On March 15, 1892, the schooner Mirabel arrived in Philadelphia after a journey from the Cuban port of Matanzas. When she pulled into port, it was evident that something was wrong. Very wrong. What follows next is a strange, unbelievable, but entirely true tale of the briny deep.

The first indication that something was amiss aboard the Mirabel was that the entire crew, except for the captain, was entirely new. It was not the same crew that had departed from Matanzas on January 20, and Captain Joseph Sims was deluged with questions from those who anxiously waited on the docks for the return of their seafaring husbands and sons.

When the Mirabel had left Cuba, the schooner was manned by thirty experienced sailors, mostly Englishmen. Nearly all of them had served on the Mirabel for a number of years. However, before setting sail for Matanzas several new crewmen had been taken on. Captain Sims was delighted to discover that these new men proved to be capable sailors and hard workers. Except for one man.

This sailor turned out to be addicted to the bottle and drank continuously, from morning until night. Captain Sims looked the other way at first, however, because the drinking did not seem to interfere with the sailor's work. But the captain grew more concerned when he realized that, sooner or later, the sailor's bottle would grow empty. He implored the sailor to give up his habit.

"He did not drink anything the next day, but it was very hard on him and I felt very sorry for the poor fellow," said Captain Sims. "He was on watch that night from midnight until daylight. The last thing I said to him before he went on deck was, 'Remember, Bilson, about the liquor', to which he replied that I need not fear."
Two hours later, the captain was awakened from his slumber by a tremendous noise on deck.  Hastening above, he saw two of his crewmen struggling with Bilson, attempting to hold him down. They explained that Bilson was trying his hardest to throw himself overboard.

"On inquiring what was the matter I was told that the fellow was suffering from delirium tremens and wanted to drown himself," explained Captain Sims. The sailors eventually subdued the delirious crewman and placed him in irons. He howled and raved the entire night. Bilson, unable to recover from his delirium, died the following afternoon. The crew kept his body until the following day, when they wrapped it in a canvas sheet and buried him at sea.

Two nights later Captain Sims was awakened by a knocking at his door. It was the midnight watch, and his face was as white as chalk. The watchman informed the captain, in a trembling horror-stricken voice, that he had just seen Bilson on deck, sitting atop a coil of rope in the stern of the boat. The captain told the sailor that he must have been dreaming. The watchman adamantly insisted that he had not been asleep-- and then said that he could prove it. "He's still there, Captain. Go see for yourself."

Captain Sims reached the deck and looked aft, his own face turning the same shade of white as the night watch. There, upon a coil of rope, sat Bilson, with his head erect gazing fixedly at the sea. The captain called out to him but Bilson did not move. The captain approached the phantom but as soon as he reached the pile of rope Bilson vanished.

The following night Bilson once again made his appearance, and the dead sailor continued to haunt the pile of rope for several days, until every man on board saw it. The crew of the Mirabel grew restless and demanded to abandon the ship as soon as it reached Matanzas.

"The last time Bilson's ghost appeared was the night before we got to Matanzas," said Captain Sims. "At the usual hour we were all on hand waiting for the apparition. We had not long to wait, for in a short time the ghost appeared, from where no one could tell, and took its accustomed seat on the rope. After gazing into the water a short time it arose and pointed its finger in the direction of the town we were approaching. It then walked noiselessly to the deck rail and, looking into the water, shuddered. It again turned and looked toward Matanzas, then gave a leap and disappeared beneath the waves without a sound."

As soon as the Mirabel pulled into port every sailor abandoned the ship, except for Captain Sims, who was now forced to find a new crew for the return voyage. The ghost of Bilson did not reappear on the return trip from Cuba to Philadelphia. When interviewed by reporters, Sims theorized that Bilson might not have been dead when his crew buried him at sea, and may have reappeared as a ghost in order to alert Mirabel crew to this fact.


The Philadelphia Times, March 16, 1892

Popular posts from this blog

The Incest Capital of the World?

At the far eastern edge of Kentucky, nestled in Appalachia, resides Letcher County. In spite of its isolation and poverty (approximately 30% of the county's population lives below the poverty line), Letcher County has managed to grow at an impressive rate, from a population of just 9,172 in 1900 to a present-day population of nearly 25,000. However, even if Letcher County tripled or quadrupled its present population, there's still a pretty good chance that virtually all of the county's inhabitants would be related to each other-- thanks to one particularly fertile family whose astounding rate of reproduction can put even the friskiest rabbit to shame.

Around the year 1900, Letcher County was the home of a man by the name of Jason L. Webb, who made national headlines for having the one of the largest families in the world. According to newspaper reports of the era, Jason had 19 children, 175 grandchildren, and 100 great-grandchildren. Perhaps even more impressive was his b…

Black Eyed Children Finally Explained!

Last month, we received an email from a reader in Michigan, in response to our article debunking the "black eyed children" phenomenon, which links these so-called "paranormal" entities to recreational drug use.  The reader, whom we will call Onizuka in order to protect his identity, claims that not only is he familiar with BEKs- but that he was one.  "Onizuka" agreed to speak with JOTB via Yahoo instant messenger.  Ironically, this conversation took place on 4/20, a date which is embraced by those who are part of the drug culture.

JOTB:Thanks for taking the time to speak with us.  In one of your previous emails, you stated that you were a "black eyed kid".  What did you mean by that?

Onizuka:  Last November I was driving late at night at turned on the radio and came across an episode of Coast to Coast AM and the topic of the show was black eyed children.  It convinced me to do some research on the topic, and that's how I found your article.  A…

Remembering the ill-fated voyage of the Aerowagon

From 1917 to 1922, the Bolshevik-led Red Army battled the anti-Communist White Army during the Russian Civil War.  By the end of 1919 the Bolsheviks had taken the cities of Omsk and Kiev, and had successfully repelled the White Russian siege of Petrograd.  However, the Bolshevik's momentum would be short-lived as the White Army, after retreating across the Baikal, regrouped and joined forces with Gigory Semyonov's Transbaikal Cossacks.  As the Red Army's losses began to mount, especially in Poland, the Bolsheviks attempted to gain a competitive advantage by embracing new technologies, sometimes with disastrous results.  Such is the sad tale of young inventor Valerian Abakovsky and his Aerowagon.

Abakovsky was a Latvian-born inventor who earned his living as a chauffeur for Cheka, the state security organization created by Lenin.  His position granted him access to many high-ranking Soviets and, although details are scarce, Abakovsky most likely used his influence within t…