Skip to main content

Kinshiu Maru: The Suicide Ship of the Russo-Japanese War

On October 12, 1904, a bone-chilling story was reported by the crew of the schooner Gotoma after its arrival in San Francisco from the Kuril Islands. According to the ship's captain, Captain Macomber, the schooner was about forty miles southwest of Cape Curat on August 4 when the crew sighted a mass of floating wreckage.

Captain Macomber sailed his ship closer to the wreckage and recognized it as a Japanese troopship-- the ill-fated Kinshiu Maru, which was reported sunk by the Russians the previous April. The crew boarded the floating wreck and discovered, to their horror, a number of headless Japanese soldiers ensnared in the wreckage. How those unfortunate soldiers became decapitated was a naval mystery that captivated the world for several weeks.

Strangely, it was an unknown preacher from Novia Scotia who managed to solve the mystery.

Reverend William Rufus Foote was a Canadian living in Japan during the Russo-Japanese War, which was fought between 1904 and 1905. Rev. Foote learned of the sinking of the troopship while living in Wonsan-- about 16 miles from the place where the 3,596-ton ship was attacked-- and sent a letter home to Canada describing what he had learned about the Kinshiu Maru from Japanese naval officers.

According to Foote, as the Russian squadron steamed north to Vladivostok it passed between Japanese battleships, cruisers and a torpedo flotilla, and in doing so encountered a Japanese troopship with about three hundred on board. The troopship was transporting the Japanese 37th Infantry to an area north of Wonsan.

At around 10:00 pm, on the night of April 25, the Russians notified the Japanese that they would capture or sink the troopship and ordered the Japanese sailors on board to get into one of the Russian boats and surrender. The Japanese refused and the Kinshiu Maru was struck with two torpedoes. Still the Japanese refused to surrender; they continued to fire  from the ship's deck until the water was up to their waists.

"Some went down with the ship, some were taken by the Russians, others swam ashore, some of them saving even their rifles," wrote Foote.

The captain of the Kinshiu Maru, Captain Yagi, accompanied by an interpreter, boarded a small launch and the men made their way to the Russian cruiser to negotiate terms of surrender. About an hour later a Russian boarding party was dispatched to the Japanese troopship to confirm that it had been abandoned. To their surprise, the Russians discovered around 136 Japanese soldiers on board who had refused to abandon ship or surrender.

These soldiers had been part of a unit which had earned disgrace for showing cowardice in an earlier battle. They vowed to fight to the bitter end. The frustrated Russians returned to their ship. At around 1:30 a.m., the Russians decided that they were tired of playing games, and a torpedo was fired into the troopship.

Incredibly outnumbered and outarmed, the Japanese soldiers returned fire with pistols and revolvers, to little effect. The Russians fired a second torpedo, hitting the engine room and splitting the Kinshiu Maru in two.

Knowing that the battle was lost, the Japanese soldier in command of the troops grabbed a bayonet and disemboweled himself in front of the soldiers of the 37th Infantry. The other officers followed suit, while the infantrymen decapitated each other. Of the 300 or so Japanese soldiers and sailors aboard the Kinshiu Maru, only 46 made it to lifeboats. Of these, six took their own lives before making it back to the Japanese mainland.

Popular posts from this blog

The Incest Capital of the World?

At the far eastern edge of Kentucky, nestled in Appalachia, resides Letcher County. In spite of its isolation and poverty (approximately 30% of the county's population lives below the poverty line), Letcher County has managed to grow at an impressive rate, from a population of just 9,172 in 1900 to a present-day population of nearly 25,000. However, even if Letcher County tripled or quadrupled its present population, there's still a pretty good chance that virtually all of the county's inhabitants would be related to each other-- thanks to one particularly fertile family whose astounding rate of reproduction can put even the friskiest rabbit to shame.

Around the year 1900, Letcher County was the home of a man by the name of Jason L. Webb, who made national headlines for having the one of the largest families in the world. According to newspaper reports of the era, Jason had 19 children, 175 grandchildren, and 100 great-grandchildren. Perhaps even more impressive was his b…

Black Eyed Children Finally Explained!

Last month, we received an email from a reader in Michigan, in response to our article debunking the "black eyed children" phenomenon, which links these so-called "paranormal" entities to recreational drug use.  The reader, whom we will call Onizuka in order to protect his identity, claims that not only is he familiar with BEKs- but that he was one.  "Onizuka" agreed to speak with JOTB via Yahoo instant messenger.  Ironically, this conversation took place on 4/20, a date which is embraced by those who are part of the drug culture.

JOTB:Thanks for taking the time to speak with us.  In one of your previous emails, you stated that you were a "black eyed kid".  What did you mean by that?

Onizuka:  Last November I was driving late at night at turned on the radio and came across an episode of Coast to Coast AM and the topic of the show was black eyed children.  It convinced me to do some research on the topic, and that's how I found your article.  A…

Jesus Campos Disappears; Las Vegas Mystery Deepens

Yesterday we delved into the mystery surrounding the Las Vegas shooting and the unanswered questions surrounding Mandalay Bay security guard Jesus Campos, such as his peculiar GoFundMe page and the fact that his home is being protected by a private armed security guard. Independent investigative journalists have revealed that the company protecting Campos-- identified as "On Scene Investigation & Security, Inc."-- is a Las Vegas-based company whose business license expired in January of 2017.

Also adding fuel to the conspiracy theories was the report by investigative journalist Laura Loomer claiming that Campos' name has been "scrubbed" from the casino's employee database.

It was also reported earlier this week that gunman Stephen Paddock's Reno home was broken into.

But things have just taken a new bizarre twist. Gateway Pundit just announced that Jesus Campos is missing.

Campos was scheduled to appear on Sean Hannity's show on Fox News but, a…